Did you know that 45% of Americans generally make New Year’s Resolutions? About 38% of those resolutions are fitness or health related, but statistics point to what we all know is true. That is that New Year’s Resolutions often fall by the wayside with only 8% of all resolutions seeing their end goal come to fruition. This you can be different with a few simple tips and tricks!
Skating for Fitness
Roller skating has always had several health benefits. Roller skating is fun and it burns calories too! Here are a few simple facts that we’ve gathered from our years in roller skating:
- One hour of roller skating can burn 600 calories
- Skating causes 50% less impact on your joints than running or jogging
- The American Heart Association recommends skating as aerobic exercise to strengthen the heart
- Roller skating improves leg strength and muscle tone.
- Skating works your calf, shin, thigh hamstring, abdominal, and lower-back muscles
- If someone skates one day, bicycles another, and swims or run on the third, they will take advantage of all the fitness benefits that aerobics can offer
- Skating improves strength and flexibility
- Skating is ranked third as an activity for all-around fitness benefits
Don’t Go Overboard
Be realistic. Don’t be so strict that you ruin the sense of accomplishment with those New Year’s Resolutions or Goals. If you see something new and exciting that you really want to try, go for it. We can encourage you to try roller skating as a new physical activity this year!
Embrace Your Achievements
Reward yourself when you make it through one of your subgoals to reaching a greater goal. Think of a way to celebrate that won’t undo all of the hard work that you’ve put in! Look at what you have achieved so far and take a moment to pat yourself on the back.
We think Playland Skate Center in Austin is the perfect place to skate your way to your fitness goals in 2016! We can’t wait to see you during one of our roller skating sessions!